The Berlinale announces first nine films selected for the Competition and the Berlinale Special of the 69th Berlin International Film Festival (February 7-17, 2019). The list includes Emin Alper’s A Tale of Three Sisters, which participated as a project at the Co-production Market and Pitching Forum of MIA 2016.
The opening film will be The Kindness of Strangers by Lone Scherfig, but the Berlinale has also anticipated the first titles to enter the Competition. In particular, there are six productions and co-productions (as A Tale of Three Sisters) from Austria, Canada, France, Germany, Greece, the Netherlands, Serbia and Turkey.
Here are the first films in Competition:
- The Ground beneath My Feet by Marie Kreutzer (Austria)
- The Golden Glove by Fatih Akin (Germany / France)
- By the Grace of God by François Ozon (France)
- I Was at Home, but by Angela Schanelec (Germany / Serbia)
- A Tale of Three Sisters by Emin Alper (Turkey / Germany / Germany / Netherlands / Greece)
- Ghost Town Anthology by Denis Côté (Canada)
So far three productions have been invited to participate in the Berlinale Special:
- Gully Boy by Zoya Akhtar (India)
- Brecht by Heinrich Breloer (Germany / Austria)
- Watergate [Documentary] by Charles Ferguson (USA)